Tuesday 11 October 2011

Synchronicity...

Serendipity ...
Coincidence ...
All ways to describe a "chance" meeting (or set of circumstances or events).  They're all statistically bound to happen ... yet it takes your breath away when it does!
Today I met someone whom I'd not seen in many, many months ... we were both in a place where we are rarely seen ... we were both alone .... and we both had a little time to talk!  Quite amazing!
I'd just finished a very tasty dish of chicken and crispy onions on champ with a peppercorn sauce.
I do enjoy the presentation of the vertical placing of food ... in the "old days" that would have been three lumps on the plate with the sauce poured over the chicken.  This, to my eye, is more attractive.
Tonight was the South Belfast Area Service ... it was wonderful and the words of a number of the hymns were very powerful.
"Great is thy faithfulness... " set the mood for the event ... " ... all I have needed thy hand hath provided ... "
The version of the 23rd Psalm is a personal favourite.  The last verse:
And though I walk the darkest path,
I will not fear the evil one,
for you are with me, and your rod and staff
are the comfort I need to know."  And I will trust in you alone ....
The recessional, "In Christ alone my hope is found..." is another set of very carefully constructed verses.
".... No power of hell, no scheme of man,
can ever pluck me from his hand;
till he returns or calls me home,
here in the power of Christ I'll stand."
It was a good time and Saint Nicholas' was well represented.  Afterwards the tea gave an opportunity to mingle with other branches in the area and catch up with friends whom we see only two or three times a year.

The other hymn of note from this evening's worship is the one I'll use to close the blog.

Safe in the shadow of the Lord, beneath his hand and power,
I trust in him, I trust in him,
my fortress and my tower.


From fears and phantoms of the night, from foes about my way,
I trust in him, I trust in him,
by darkness as by day.

1 comment:

ROBERTA said...

mmmm....champ....one of my favorites!