Thursday 23 September 2010

2010:365:266 A beautiful country.

"Where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea" is never far from one's mind on a journey through Dundrum.  I had to do a quick run today to the Ulster Bullion Company and, between the showers, caught this attractive view.  It was handy that a dandelion was in just the right place for the picture!
Ulster Bullion are going to make a new pulpit and lectern falls and markers for use in Saint Nicholas' so I was checking out their designs and leaving measurements with them.   Nowadays there are no embroiderers in Northern Ireland and this was once a thriving industry in south Down.  The work will be done in the English part of the company.
I'd imagined that the design would now be programmed into a machine but this is not so.  All the embroidery is still hand done - what a beautiful skill!  These are artists at work and I'm guessing we'll not even see the person who does the work.  I wonder would they like to see the finished pieces in situ - I know that I would.

Take me, Lord, from busy-ness to the place of quietness.
From the tumult without cease into your great unending peace.
Help me then, my Lord, to see what I am and ought to be.

God of Life
God of peace
God of wonders that will never cease.
God eternal
Trinity
God everlasting come to me.

Tides and Seasons
David Adam

No comments: