Tuesday 21 September 2010

2010:365:264 If I'd not had to go to Tomb Street ....

.... I'd have missed a fantastic living sculptural installation in Donegall Street.  And I'd never have met the artist Catherine Roberts who created "Budgie Butlins"!  Sadly it closes this weekend but everyone who stopped when I was there smiled, laughed and went away talking about it!  As a "feel good" piece of living art - it works perfectly.
But, let's go back to the beginning ....
Yesterday there was a parcel in my mail.  However, with no one at home the van man took it back to Tomb Street - so named after David Tomb, owner of the Limkiln Dock.  Anyhow, that meant a journey there this morning so, with camera in hand, off I set.  It was only when I uploaded the pictures that I noticed this particular advertising banner!  One of my parishioners will know why it wasn't cropped out!
With a 365Project theme of "lines" there were certainly plenty to be had at the Royal Mail.  Lovely red lines. 
So that was today's picture - I thought!
Meandering back to the parked car I came along Donegall Street where another photo opportunity jumped up!  Some wonderfully weathered doors that won't be there much longer as developers have moved into the building. 
It certainly needs a bit of attention. 
But I liked the detail of the peeling paint.  
And it too had lines .... so again the 365Project picture was captured - or so I thought!
Movement across the road caught my eye - and there it was - an amazing art installation in a double shop front!  As soon as I moved closer I could hear the birds as well.
So this is the 365Project collage.  
The young artist (top left photograph and below), Catherine Roberts, had the idea of creating an exhibition that drew upon the Butlins holiday camps that were so popular in the 50s and 60s and are still going strong today.  This is a scaled down sculpture that has been filled with dozens of budgerigars and finches.
Catherine saw me taking pictures and came out for a conversation.  Some time ago she made application to the Arts Council of Northern Ireland for a grant and so was able to take over this building for a month where the utopian holiday camp for budgies has been created!  
It has all the leisure facilities that humans would expect at Butlins.  
The reflections in the window are a bit of a nuisance, but you get the idea.
Clearly the birds are very relaxed and well cared for.  
Not only do they have a variety of perches and nesting areas that the public can view - there are also many hidden areas behind the various layers of hills so that there's always somewhere for them to feel safe.  At night the curtains are drawn for twelve hours so that they have proper rest as well and aren't disturbed by noise and light.
It is a contemporary urban fable that tells stories about living conditions, holidays and built environments.  The themes of animals, architecture and recreation are explored in this wonderful installation.  Everyone who passed by smiled, stopped and laughed at the piece.  It works ...  and it makes people "feel good".  Even on quite a dull day it made folk happy- and that's got to be a good thing.
So, thank you Mr Post Office Van Man.  Without your wee card telling me to collect my parcel at Tomb Street I'd never have seen "Budgie Butlins"!  It made my day!

You are the Maker of earth and sky.
You are the Maker of heaven on high.
You are the Maker of oceans deep.
You are the Maker of mountains steep.
You are the Maker of sun and rain.
You are the Maker of hill and plain.
You are the Maker of such as me.
Keep me, O Lord, eternally.

Teach me to see you, Lord,
in all things seen and heard,
in beauty of the heather moors,
in the singing of a bird.

Tides and Seasons
David Adam