Tuesday 28 April 2009

That'll larn ye!

...which, being translated, is something like: "That will teach you...". Sometimes you are so convinced that you know where a particular church is located that you don't even bother to check on map or Google...of course it is in such-and-such a place. Well, it wasn't!
All began well. I was early for the funeral - an hour early - so decided to have lunch in a little cafe near the church (or what I thought was the church). Service was slow...very slow. The lady next to me on another high and uncomfortable bar stool actually asked that they cancel her order because she'd waited so long. I wish I'd done the same. Eventually the not-very-special baked potato arrived and I paid the bill and left. Only to discover that the building I thought was the church wasn't. Asking in the shop next door didn't help as the person there knew that there were some churches along the road....
At that point I spotted my Churchwarden, who also thought the church was where it wasn't! A short walk made it clear to us that the next church building wasn't the one we wanted either. Fortunatly a very helpful schoolboy was able to direct us to the correct one - a long, long way (slightly uphill) in the distance. A bit of quick walking brought us to the door with only seconds to spare!
Next time I'm going to an unfamiliar church I'll check the address well in advance of setting out. Maybe even have lunch at home where the unpredictable service would be that of my own making - or Eliot's. He has been known to eat my unattended food!
Today I didn't get to Saint Nicholas' to see what's happening with the building...so those who came here to see photographs of the progress will have to wait until tomorrow.

3 comments:

Ian Poulton said...

Were you officiating?

When late simply point out that you were used to Ballybrack local time!

Rev Elizabeth said...

No...attending...a neighbour...

Ian Poulton said...

That's not so bad - as long as you are there to say, "Sorry for your trouble" at the end!