Thursday 1 December 2011

December already!

 It is possible that Eliot's surprised look is more to do with being caught napping on the white linen rather than the knowledge that we're now in December!
Where have the days gone?  With busy days the hours slip past and suddenly it is bedtime again.
 With the new month comes the beginning of the Christmas Card avalanche!  This, the first one, has an invitation to the school Christmas Concert ... that's always good fun and a lovely evening with the young folk, their teachers and their parents.
Before that ... Kenya ... and before that ... the Parish Magazine!
Our photocopier has a major problem which might not be fixed until Saturday!  That's going to mean a bit of a rush to have copies available for Sunday ... but we'll gather some helpers and will hopefully achieve the target!  We have a great engineer who will do his best to get it up and running as soon as possible.
The bright sky of morning soon vanished under the clouds ... and now the sky has cleared again to give us a cold and frosty night.
Washing on the line is as damp as it was when it was pegged out ... but it might as well hang there overnight ...
I found an interesting hymn after Alcuin (c 735-804) in the Church Hymnal.  I'm not sure that I've ever heard it sung ...

Eternal light, shine in my heart,
eternal hope, lift up my eyes;
eternal power, be my support,
eternal wisdom, make me wise.


Eternal life, raise me from death,
eternal brightness, make me see;
eternal Spirit, give me breath,
eternal Saviour, come to me.


Until by your most costly grace,
invited by your holy word,
at last I come before your face
to know you, my eternal God.  


Church Hymnal number 613
Christopher Idle (b 1938)

1 comment:

keneva said...

Love the words of the hymn