Saturday 16 July 2011

What a wonderful world ...

1968 ... Louis Armstrong ... "What a wonderful world ... "
I see trees of green, red roses too I see them bloom for me and you And I think to myself, what a wonderful world 
I see skies of blue and clouds of white The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night And I think to myself, what a wonderful world 
The colours of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky Are also on the faces of people going by I see friends shakin' hands, sayin' "How do you do?" They're really saying "I love you"  
I hear babies cryin', I watch them grow They'll learn much more than I'll ever know And I think to myself, what a wonderful world Yes, I think to myself, what a wonderful world 
Oh yeah!

The photographic opportunities today brought to mind this song of my teenage years!  Beauty is all around us ... and ... even in the heavy downpours ... there is something very attractive.  No sooner had Eliot and I arrived in the rose gardens (without coat or umbrella) than the heavens opened!  I managed to find some reasonably adequate shelter under a tree until the worst of it passed.
This was just after eight o'clock before many (other than the gardeners) had ventured out ... an hour or so later when we were leaving the car park had begun to fill up and lots of families clad in sensible rain wear started to arrive.
 

 These pictures speak for themselves ... it was hard to limit myself to a small selection!

 The recent very wet weather has played havoc with some of the plants.  In conversation with the gardeners we decided that it wasn't altogether a bad thing as it shows people which plants stand up best to the Irish climate!  Both of these roses have suffered badly so they'll not be on the shopping list!





 This deep yellow/orange is "Benita" and I have pictures of each of these flower heads including the little fly! This rose was introduced in 1995 and bred by Dicksons.  Northern Ireland growers have a significant position among the rose fraternity.


 The deep pink (red) climbing rose is Jane Eyre.  It was fun trying to take pictures of it against the light.
 ... sometimes it didn't quite work!
We are so fortunate to have the International Rose Trials here every July ... this year I've not had the opportunity to visit until this morning but maybe I'll get back tomorrow before it closes again for another year.  "What a wonderful world ... "indeed!
Meanwhile, the 365Project continues and I'm still adding a piece of fruit each day.  A sweet juicy pineapple is today's offering ... very tasty indeed.

May we live by faith, 
walk in hope and be renewed in love, 
until the world reflects your glory 
and you are all in all. 
Even so, come Lord Jesus.  Amen.


Saturday prayers. 

1 comment:

Stuart said...

What a lovely post and piccy's and everything really.

I first heard Louis Armstrong's "What a wonderful world" as a child watching a James Bond Movie.

I thnk it was "On her majesty's Secret Service" and the song played at the end when Bond's wife gets shot.

I played it over and over, it really captured me.