Wednesday 11 May 2011

I wish ...

... that I'd taken a video!  These ladies were hilarious and the music to which they "danced" was toe tapping ... and the machines made the most interesting noises!  If I get a chance I'll go back and film them.
 Facial expressions and banter made for an hilarious routine.  At times the shopping trolley looked as if it were going to run into the crowd ... but somehow they were controlled to perfection.  I couldn't see how they were operated.
 On only two wheels there must be some kind of balance control ... but as they "danced" and "drove" around it was hard to see exactly how they moved the machines.
 The crowds loved it and gave great applause after each item.
As they moved off to the next venue they interacted with folk whom they passed and ended up looking a bit like Pied Pipers with their music blaring out and the crowds following!
I found a poor quality YouTube video of these ladies:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqn7IZ8bvG4&NR=1
This is, of course, all part of the entertainment that comes with the Balmoral Show - the Royal Ulster Agricultural Show.  It is just over my back wall and we receive "compensation" for the disruption - two free tickets into the show!  You can go and come as many times in a day as you wish and there's always something to see.
Today I wanted to watch the sheep judging so took an early tea (or a late lunch .... not sure which) and spent a happy hour wandering among the sheep pens.
 This pair seemed more keen to catch up on some beauty sleep than to pose for photographs.
Maybe I should spare you the forty or so more pictures of sheep ... though definitely not a case of "seen one seen them all" as there are so breeds  on show.
Then, on a visit to the cattle I bumped into a friend who'd been in the same class in school way back in the 1960s!!  Small world ... but the Balmoral Show means that a lot of folk come to Belfast just for this huge event.
I could go on and on ... the atmosphere at the show is fantastic and there's always something to see, do, taste or explore ... though you do need to watch where you're walking when in the area of the cattle sheds.  There's even a "Cow Wash"!  It looks, and works, just like a car wash and it was fun to watch the cows being lined up for their turn under the power hose.  The blondes were there when I was watching but with the water spray in the air I didn't like to take out the camera.
As in the world of human hair there are many shades of blonde ... so with this breed ... though I suspect that all of them are "natural blonds" and haven't had to resort to colouring the dark (or grey) roots!
 Rain forced me to return home ... but not before I'd watched a couple of clear rounds in the show jumping and saw a blacksmith at work.

O heavenly Father, who has filled the world with beauty: 
Open our eyes to behold your gracious hand in all your works; 
that, rejoicing in your whole creation, 
we may learn to serve you with gladness; 
for the sake of him through whom all things were made, 
your Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

3 comments:

Kelly Moore said...

Wonderful! WONDERFUL! I am right there with you - I have so many pictures of sheep and cows (not to mention finally a hooded crow) from my recent trip to your fair land.

Little lamb, who made thee? Too lazy to look up the author of that gem - William Blake?

Rev Elizabeth said...

Yes, it is William Blake ...
Little lamb, who made thee?
Dost thou know who made thee,
Gave thee life, and bade thee feed
By the stream and o’er the mead;
Gave thee clothing of delight,
Softest clothing, wooly, bright;
Gave thee such a tender voice,
Making all the vales rejoice?
Little lamb, who made thee?
Dost thou know who made thee?

Little lamb, I’ll tell thee;
Little lamb, I’ll tell thee:
He is called by thy name,
For He calls Himself a lamb,
He is meek, and He is mild,
He became a little child;
I a child, and thee a Lamb,
We are called by His Name.
Little lamb, God bless thee!
Little lamb, God bless thee!

You'd love the Balmoral Show with hundreds of photo opportunities!!

lesleyc said...

Thank you both - I'd never heard that lamb poem before.

And what of Eliot? Those sheep and the cattle are all very lovely but...