Sunday 20 March 2011

Sunday

 Regular readers will know that the 365Project has a theme each week.  I don't always do it, sometimes it doesn't appeal to me at all.  But the idea of "Bubbles" has a certain child-like fascination!  Playing with the dog's dish yesterday produced a fun image so I thought I'd have another go today.
But this didn't please me nearly so much.  There was no sunlight so the whole thing looks a bit flat.  Still, I had fun.  A dish of water, some washing up liquid and a running tap.  What more do you need to play?
I'm assuming that the rather blue colour cast is a reflection from the shirt I was wearing at the time.
Actually, after forty odd pictures I decided that taking photographs of bubbles isn't quite as easy as it looks!  Apart from not wanting to get the camera wet from any splashing or popping of bubbles they keep moving around!  That's where sunlight would have helped.
I was going to add all sorts of interesting information about surface tension of water and why bubbles are round and not any other shape ... but I didn't understand much of the scientific stuff so there didn't seem to be much point!  I think anyone could Google it just as did I.
"Google it" ... now there's a phrase you'd not have heard a few years ago!
Now, almost anything you want to know, you can simply "Google it" and find someone's answer.  Maybe they're not always accurate ... but the chances are you'll be pointed in the right direction.
"To Google" was recognised as a most useful very by 2002 and was included in the Oxford English Dictionary in 2006.  I guess it is all part of the changing world in which we find ourselves.
When I was at school you poured over the school atlas to visit other countries ... now you just "Google Earth" and can zoom in at hitherto unimagined definition so that you can spot people on streets and cars parked in drives.
We, on the whole, take these changes in our stride - even enjoying the new experiences that they bring.  So why are there other areas of our lives where we don't want change at all?!

Almighty God, 
you show to those who are in error the light of your truth 
that they may return to the way of righteousness: 
Grant to all those who are admitted 
into the fellowship of Christ’s religion, 
that they may reject those things 
that are contrary to their profession, 
and follow all such things 
as are agreeable to the same; 
through our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.



Collect of the Second Sunday in Lent
Book of Common Prayer. 

No comments: