Sunday 26 December 2010

Puzzled!

 The burst pipe flowed down on the microwave on Friday and I'm not sure that I want to switch it on again.  The model dates from around the time that these ovens were invented so it owes me nothing ... actually ... it cost me nothing!  It came from our Dad's house ... and that was a while ago.
Anyhow, the thought of a new machine came to mind so I did a bit of on-line research before checking out the local stores tomorrow.  And that's when I became very puzzled.
How is it that a five month old machine costs more than the price of a new one?  There is an additional ten percent charge for postage on it while the Amazon offer gives free postage ...
 Every Christmas I receive a jigsaw puzzle ... not just any old puzzle of a pretty scene or an old master ... no ... my sister deems it appropriate to try to find the world's most difficult puzzles.  There have been baked beans with Brussels sprouts on the reverse, smiley faces on both sides, crossword puzzles on both sides and now this!
Smarties on both sides!  Can't wait to get started!
Perhaps the message on the tee shirt is more appropriate than you'd think?  You may remember I'd seen it in Turkey and regretted not buying it ... well ... it turned up among my Christmas gifts!  I'm delighted with it and wondering when is the most appropriate occasion for its début!
 As always, turtles featured large (and small) among the gifts ... this one became known as "Tacky Turtle" the minute it appeared from the wrapping!  My two great nieces were intrigued as to why there are so many turtles around the house and among my presents ... someday they will be set on a mission to count them!  Tacky Turtle is another puzzle, I suppose.  Why would anyone make such a thing ... and ... why would anyone buy it?!!  I suspect it will find pride of place on top of the piano or some other very visible location ... it is just so different from the various realistic examples. Tacky Turtle is a firm favourite already.
Meanwhile the poor dog is exhausted!  Actually his owner isn't far behind with all the busy-ness of the past few weeks and then the services running back to back on Friday, Saturday and today.
One of Eliot's favourite sleeping places, directly across from his softly padded and cushioned basket, is on the wooden floor beside the front door.  He works as an excellent draught excluder so maybe it is out of consideration for me that he adopts this particular location?  I managed to get a couple of pictures of him before he realized that I was coming downstairs ... the moment he became aware of that he was up on his feet ready for whatever adventure I had in mind.  All I wanted was a cup of coffee so he went back to working at draught exclusion.
Saint Stephen's Day has come and (almost) gone.  His single-minded devotion to Christ has inspired believers in every generation; and his attitude of forgiveness, following Christ's own example, gives much food for thought.  Mind you, if it hadn't been for "the angels, arch-angels and all the host of heaven," our congregation this morning was "thin on the ground"!  In fact, there were twice as many in the choir as in the pews!!  But the singing was great and we enjoyed the presence of God in the sanctuary, coming away knowing that we'd been on holy ground.
Now, I think that an early night is in order, and perhaps no alarms to be set ... Tomorrow's first job will be to check the church and hall premises ...  Temperatures have risen to plus three degrees Celsius today and outside the thaw has started.  Inside, the icicles still hang from the radiator in my office and there's evidence of other points where there may be burst pipes, radiators or cisterns ... but the extent of damage won't be obvious until the thaw begins in the building.  Whatever measures we can take have been taken so now it is simply "wait" ...

Gracious Father,
who gave the first martyr Stephen 
grace to pray for those who stoned him: 
Grant that in all our sufferings for the truth 
we may learn to love even our enemies 
and to seek forgiveness for those who desire our hurt, 
looking up to heaven to him who was crucified for us, 
Jesus Christ, our Mediator and Advocate, 
who is alive and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, 
one God, now and for ever.  Amen. 



Book of Common Prayer
Collect of Saint Stephen's Day.

No comments: