Wednesday 15 September 2010

2010:365:258 Sangria.

Sangria ... images of sun soaked beaches, flamenco dancers, tapas and warm Spanish summer evening air all come to mind when I see the word "Sangria".  That is ... until today!
This bottle, albeit non-alcoholic, certainly looked the part.  Sangria is just (normally) red wine, seasonal fruit, honey/sugar and ice cold sparkling soda or water .... yum!  The contents here were red grape, cloudy apple and a hint of cinnamon.  No sparkle but none the worse for that. 
So what is the problem?
Well, I thought I'd look up the meaning of "Sangria" to add interest to the 365Project picture.  This is the picture/collage that I used for that. 
Anyhow, to return to the 'problem' that I mentioned.
"Sangria" means "bloodletting"!  How's that for a mood killer?  
Actually the origin appears to be from 1961 and is a reference to the colour of the drink.  In my mind I went straight to bullfighting!  Of course, now I've spoiled the experience for everyone else as well.
A proper Sangria might just help me to recover from this mini-shock.  The M&S one is good - although I think it has a bit of an aftertaste from the cinnamon, but it is very refreshing even if it lacks the little kick of the real thing!
So that's been today and now I'm off to play with Eliot and his new toy!

That this evening may be holy, good and peaceful:
We pray to you, O Lord.
That your holy angels may lead us in the paths of peace and goodwill:
We pray to you, O Lord. 
That we may be pardoned and forgiven for our sins and offences:
We pray to you, O Lord.
That there may be peace in your Church and for the whole world:
We pray to you, O Lord.
That we may be bound together by your Holy Spirit, in communion with all your saints, entrusting one another and all our life to Christ:
We pray to you, O Lord. 

Celebrating Common Prayer
An Orthodox Litany for Evening. 

2 comments:

A Dagenham Girl said...

how interesting but I'll stick to my tea!! lol Have a good Thursday, Judith

Loey said...

I like to make my own Sangria.
However, as you said Elizabeth it was ok :D though not like the real thing.
Wonderful shot of darling Eliot & his new toy!