Monday 28 June 2010

2010:365:179 Keyring...

Today was a particularly busy day with little time for photography.  I snapped half a dozen quick shots just before closing up the church at lunch time.  A very pretty keyring that I'd been given yesterday was lying on my leather folder... so that's today's image.  Three glass turtles hanging on my bunch of keys. 
Those who follow the blog will know that I'm a great fan of turtles and have hundreds in my collection... so these take pride of place among them.  The other keyring in the photograph is a reminder of Kenya and our partners there. 
Keys always make one think of Saint Peter whose feast day is tomorrow, 29th June.
It is usually around Peter-tide that ordinations into the priesthood are conducted.  And among the groups for whom Peter is patron saint are locksmiths!  
The reason for the key symbol associated with Peter comes from the gospel record.
I [Jesus] tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hell will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.
– Matthew 16:18-20 (NIV)

Almighty God,
who inspired your apostle Saint Peter
to confess Jesus as Christ and Son of the living God:
Build up your Church upon this rock,
that in unity and peace it may proclaim one truth
and follow one Lord, your Son our Saviour Christ,
who is alive and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever.

Book of Common Prayer
Collect of Saint Peter

No comments: