Saturday 31 May 2008

Saturday morning - end of May

The smell of roasting lamb wafts up towards the study...must go off to the "Co" for new potatoes, redcurrant jelly and fresh peas. The mint is already growing in a pot on the windowsill... Roll on lunch time!
It is another gloriously sunny and warm day - finished the book I was reading - no wonder it won The 1998 Arthur C Clarke award. I found it difficult to begin - don't like books that have two different time zones - but this one caught my attention and, at the end, I couldn't put it down! "The Sparrow" by Mary Doria Russell - Science Fiction - and takes 'you on an extraordinary journey to a distant planet and to the very centre of the human soul...' One moving line found in the last quarter of the book reads: "I think sometimes that God needs us to cry his tears."
A fellow member of the Book Club at Saint Nicholas' lent "The Sparrow" to me - this group is going to be a useful extension of my reading range! Normally Sci-Fi gets barely a second glance from me!
Tuesday night is Book Club night - looking forward to hearing what folk think about the choice - The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

No comments: