Monday 22 October 2012

The look ... and other trivia!

The look of innocence ... that chair is supposed to be covered with the thick blanket ... somehow Eliot has managed (again) to wriggle under it and then sit looking as if butter wouldn't melt in his mouth!  What a dog.
I do love the way that he crosses his paws.  Is that the result of being in the rectory?  A praying dog?
It would be interesting to see what look I might have received this morning when making a rather stupid mistake!
About to iron a shirt I had everything set up ... but ... as you can see in this picture ... it is an accident waiting to happen!
A full kettle ... a warm iron ...
No ...
I lifted the kettle and began to pour water over the shirt ... it took a few seconds for me to register what I was doing!  At first I just wondered where the water was coming from ... what a mess!  And a shirt much too wet to wear today!
Later in the day in conversation with a lady on a check-out I told her of my experience ... and she confessed that she'd tried to change the TV channel with a hairbrush that morning!  Perhaps there's something in the air in this part of Belfast!
Working on a sermon for tomorrow's funeral I was given this poem which I'll use in the service ...


THE PEACE OF WILD THINGS
When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.
Wendell Berry

 May God give comfort to all who mourn. 

1 comment:

Mozette said...

I don't know if it is... I have 4 remote controls around the house for my tv, dvd, stereo system and VCR and quite often, I've tried using one of them for the others' use... funny when you thing of it... or better still, I'll pick up my cordless phone and try to change the channel only to hear it beep and light up and realise - in my stupidity - that I almost called somebody on speed-dial.

There, you don't feel so silly now, do you? :)