Thursday 6 January 2011

Epiphany.

My favourite section of the east windows in Saint Nicholas' is the Adoration of the Magi, celebrated today in the Feast of the Epiphany.  This is the revelation or manifestation of Christ to the Gentiles.  This feast marks the end of the Twelve Days of Christmas and the decorations will be packed away for another year.
The Wise Men (Magi) came from the east bearing gifts: gold, frankincense and myrrh.  Tradition has given them names and histories ... Caspar, Melchior and Balthasar.  In some places the initials of the three are written over the door of the house.  C +  M +  B +  Not only does this serve as a reminder of the visitors to the infant Christ but it is also the initial letters of the phrase "May Christ bless the House"
  Christus mansionem benedicat
That's not a bad way to welcome the new year!
In taking down my Christmas cards and decorations today I was struck by the number that had a representation of the Wise Men.  Almost a fifth of all those that I received had either a reproduction of an Old Master or a modern representation - including a Japanese style one!
I am very drawn to this style of art and will keep this card in a little frame to use each year.  It is special too in that it came from a 365Project friend whom I've never met and who simply sent it to the church address!  
 During the Epiphany clear up the dogs were constantly under my feet - as if they were going to benefit from all the movement.  Later they settled and Eliot taught Mollie how to demolish completely a container.  He demonstrated using a foil dish - tearing off small pieces and spitting them out.
 I'm quite sure that the lesson was repeated carefully and then Mollie was sent off to learn through experience!
 Starting with a cardboard dish on which there had been a cheesecake she set to work with gusto!  She didn't always spit out the pieces ... though I don't suppose paper will do her any harm.  From time to time Eliot swallows pieces of plastic and that doesn't appear to cause any problems.   
You can see the result of her labours ... so a lesson well learned.  Of course, if I'd not allowed the dogs to have either the foil dish or the paper plate then I wouldn't be gathering up the wee pieces and wondering why I lacked common sense!
Meanwhile ... the 365Project picture ... none of the above!  Still sticking to the "blue" theme I spotted a little angel that I'd been given.  As far as I remember it came from Denmark and is a rather exquisite four inch high china figurine.  
There's something very gentle and peaceful about her.  Most of the time she's on the top shelf of the china cabinet sitting by the window where I can see her from most parts of the dining room.  I don't imagine angels look in the least like that ... but I think she's cute!

O God, 

who by the leading of a star 
manifested your only Son to the peoples of the earth: 
Mercifully grant that we, who know you now by faith, 
may at last behold your glory face to face; 
through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen. 

Book of Common Prayer. 
Collect of the Epiphany. 

No comments: