Saturday 13 November 2010

317 Flowers.

 Some beautiful flowers today - big round chrysanthemums and delicate alstroemeria.  The former are known from as far back as fifteenth century BC China and eighth century BC Japan.  This variety is "mop head" and the centre disc is completely covered with the ingrowing petals.
Alstroemeria come from the other side of the globe as their common name "Peruvian Lily" suggests.  It is younger too in our knowledge being first described in the mid eighteenth century AD.
Together these two make an interesting display of contrasts from the heavy yellow of the mop heads to the delicate lily like flowers of the alstroemeria.  Creation is full of so many little details that draw us back to worship the Creator.

I sing the almighty power of God
that made the mountains rise,
that spread the flowing seas abroad,
and built the lofty skies.


Lord, how thy wonders are displayed
where'er I turn mine eye;
if I survey the ground I tread,
or gaze upon the sky.


There's not a plant or flower below
but makes thy glories known;
and clouds arise, and tempests blow,
by order from thy throne.


His hand is my perpetual guard;
he keeps me with his eye:
why should I then forget the Lord,
who is for ever nigh?


Church Hymnal number 28  (verses 1,4, 5 & 7)
Isaac Watts (1674-1748)

No comments: