Friday 1 October 2010

2010:365:274 I've been in a pocket for most of the day ....

Once the heavy rain stopped this morning Tigger and Liz went out in the car.  There are no photographs of the journey around the ring road in Belfast.  They went to a florist's shop to buy some flowers to help decorate the church of Saint Nicholas' for Harvest Thanksgiving. 
Tigger loved the bright fresh colours of the chrysanthemums and spent a long time studying the huge number of petals on each flower. 
They are natives of Asia and were cultivated in China in the fifteenth century.  The name means "golden flower".  The chrysanthemum is one of the "Four Gentlemen" of China together with the orchid, plum and bamboo.
Not only can some varieties be eaten or used to make tea the plant has insecticide properties and can be used medicinally as well.  A good all round and useful plant which indoors also helps to purify the air.
Tigger was also fascinated by the ornamental cabbage.  They can be eaten but do not have the same sweetness that those have that are grown for the table.  
We were so busy arranging flowers and displaying all the beautiful fruit and vegetables that I'm afraid the camera lay forgotten on the table all evening.  Tomorrow, in daylight, I'll go around and take pictures of the various displays.  
It is time now for Tigger to come out of the pocket and find his wee bed - tomorrow will be here soon enough.  Maybe he can stay up to watch the news on television first as I've been told that one of my photographs is on the weather!

I sing the almighty power of God
that made the mountains rise,
that spread the flowing seas abroad
and built the lofty skies.

Lord, how thy wonders are displayed 
where'er I turn mine eyes;
if I survey the ground I tread,
or gaze upon the sky.

There's not a plant or flower below
but makes thy glories known;
and clouds arise, and tempests blow,
by order from thy throne.

His hand is my perpetual guard;
he keeps me with his eye:
why should I then forget the Lord,
who is for ever nigh.

Church Hymnal number 28 (verses 1, 4, 5, 7)
Isaac Watts (1674-1748)

No comments: