Saturday 28 August 2010

2010:365:240 Saturday night ...

You can tell that these platters have never been through a dishwasher!  The glaze shines as brightly as it did in the 1940s when they were part of a wedding present to our parents.  The remainder of the set has long since gone - much of it at the hands of our Dad who liked to sterilize dishes in boiling water.  That isn't a great idea for china.
A 365Project friend posted a photograph yesterday of one of the plates they'd received at their marriage and that inspired my picture for today.  I'm quite sure that my sister who is good at remembering dates and things like that will be able to give a year and probably month and date as well for the marriage of Emily and Thomas.  All I know is that it was during the Second World War ....
Part of my thinking about the past is one of the verses from tomorrow's lectionary.  Hebrews 13 verse 8 "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and for ever."
Isn't that such a strong statement that gives us a rock beneath our feet when it feels as if everything else is unstable and changing.  Jesus is the same.  Always with us.  Always loving us.  Always guiding us.
What we learned of him in the past is still true today and will continue to be so tomorrow.  Therefore we are not afraid or anxious.  Even when we walk through the valley of the shadow of death we fear no evil for he is with us.

May God shield me;
may God fill me;
may God keep me;
may God watch me;
may God bring me this night
to the nearness of his love. 


The peace of the Father of joy,
the peace of the Christ of hope,
the peace of the Spirit of grace,
the peace of all peace
be mine this night
in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen. 


Compline - Saturday night
Celtic Daily Prayer (Northumbria Community)

1 comment:

Loey said...

What a beautiful dinner set that would have been.
Still! you have some that is useable.
I like nice china to eat off.