Saturday 3 July 2010

2010:365:184 Lettuce!


It is no surprise that companies spend large sums of money on advertising and gimmicks.  The wise shopper, of course, goes with a list and sticks strictly to it - but that's not a description that fits me!
Those who know me understand that I simply do not follow football - not even world cup football.  However, today in the Co-op these lettuce were just asking to become the 365Project photograph.  How could you resist that bag?  It's an English lettuce in a world cup theme!  I wonder if they regret using that particular marketing ploy?
Normally I shop for Little Gem but today this great Iceberg found its way into my basket.
So lunch was a salad!
A very tasty fresh bowl of vitamins and goodness!
You know that every bite is going to do you good.
Served with a little Balsamic Vinegar and Olive Oil it needed nothing else.  That oil and vinegar container I've had for years (given by my wee sister from one of her trips onto mainland Europe) and it has travelled round house to house with me.  I'm always amazed that it survives the journeys.  Maybe if the vinegar were filled it would make a better picture ... 
All the healthy qualities and nutritional value of this lunch may then have been eroded by dessert!  
This was a throw back to childhood when every Friday we'd get a cream horn from the baker who delivered from door to door. 
It tasted every bit as good as I'd remembered, right down through the fresh cream to the little blob of strawberry jam in the point.  
And then, to ruin things completely - a couple of sweets!  I'd not seen these before - they appear to be low in artificial stuff ... and are rather tasty!  
That was lunch.  I suspect I may have salad for tea as well!
Apparently the Romans and the Egyptians ate lettuce after a meal as a mild opiate that helped to induce sleep!  I'm hoping that doesn't happen to me right now.

Almighty and eternal God,
who, for the firmer foundation of our faith,
allowed your holy apostle Thomas
to doubt the resurrection of your Son
till word and sight convinced him:
Grant to us, who have not seen, that we also may believe
and so confess Christ as our Lord and our God;
who is alive and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever.  Amen. 

Book of Common Prayer.
Collect of Saint Thomas (3rd July)

No comments: